Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Parts

Part I
Stretched out on a table face up, I am offered to those who come to receive.
Like at a restaurant's buffet, onlookers sidle up to the table and have a look,considering their options, smacking lips and pairing combinations in their minds' palette.

With take-away boxes balanced in one hand, they grip oversized spoons and dip
into my stomach, piling rounded ladle-fulls to steal away.

They take turns with a smaller spoon, scooping out slivers of my heart, taking as much as possible without looking greedy in the eyes of other hungry patrons.

With tongs they pull bits of truth from my mouth, holding tightly on the journey from origin to destination so as not to drop any, and releasing the pieces in small heaps, careful not to mingle nuggets of truth with juices of a different flavor.

The diners scrape layers from my thigh like a mille-feuille pastry, trying in vain to preserve the delicate structure.

They pull strength and stability from deep within my rib cage, parsing out the pieces, looking for the best cut.

They pluck strands of love from my head to season, to make the rugged, dry truth palatable and smooth. I haven't resisted yet, I cannot, it is only right this way.

Part II
I own and operate the smallest shop the world has ever seen, made up of me and myself only, minimal revenue, substantial brick-and-mortar costs but that's the tax of doing business Oh I know. I rent myself out, but not my whole self, No not like those girls. I rent out only pieces and parts at a time, to those who ask/need/require/request/don't even know they need me. A knock on the door Yes hello how can I--

Yes, yes of course, my left eye. Let me browse the catalogue here well, Wouldn't you know, the left eye's already over on the other side of town with so-and-so, you'll have to make do with the right. It's not the same exactly but it will make do if it's the truth you're looking after. Remember to return it promptly at 8pm or you'll incur a late fee.

Oh another, a new customer are you? Heard of the Shop by word of mouth have you? You're in need of a leg to stand on, is that it? Feeling a bit shaky lately, need some support? Let me just pop mine off here...now, if you have any trouble with her, just give her a twist and a shake and she'll be solid and dependable for you through the hardest of times. That's a two-week rental, on the leg.

Unconditional love, is that what you're in need of? I expect you'll return mine in the same shape you're receiving it, no marks or scratches or tears. Remember to keep the heart submerged in olive oil nightly or she'll dry out. You'll never feel so loved, I can promise you that, but watch you don't get too attached--I've got a fella here that'll come looking for you if you don't return her on time.

You've got to run a tight ship in this business, make no bones about it.

And you, comfort--that's what you're after? Lucky for you my whole breast is available just today, plenty of room for you to lay your head. Now, be on your way and be soothed.

And the other--just bursting to be listened to, just itching to tell your story, to lay it down? How about these fine ears--I'll rent you two for the price of one, today's special. These will never tire of you, your voice will never grow old to them. Keep them warm; they're prone to cold.

Oh and here, this guy wants to purchase the whole package, every part. You mean from head to toe, no exceptions? I rent here, to purchase would be a mighty high price--you may not be so willing once you've heard it. And besides, pieces of me are all over, I couldn't possibly get them all together at once. But sit down and wait a while, if you've got the patience, and we'll see whether the stars are in your favor.

No comments: