Saturday, January 21, 2012

mountain and shadow

In an afternoon orgasm, a great moment of flying potential before an earthly grounding, the question arrived:

And what if you reach the mountaintop, and it's raining ?

Not so much a sentence, as an image. What does it mean to reach upward heights, skyward movement, heaven-bound ascension and be greeted by downward-driven momentum, the pull of disappointment, the deflating unexpected. Then what ? So what ? Like a dream, the more I think on it, the more I try to attach words, the more I lose my grip on the emotional footprint and the significance of the thought. I will keep the question with me in my back pocket. Note, I did cry.

As with most orgasm revelations, I open to a feeling of release but also succumbing, smallness in the presence of greatness, a "mountaintop perspective" on troubling issues, submission, realization of my insignificance and a great relief that follows. My strain, my stress, my pain and concerns are but a small part of me and I am but a small part of it All.

_______________________________________

I see my form walking leftward across a plain scene, driven on by ferocious cravings, unrelenting optimism, foolish naiveté, unwarranted and baseless certainties, confused desire, a great loving zest to know, in the most experiential sense of the word, and a death-defying need to sustain and inspire those I deem worthy of worship. This, my form, is a bruised and worn yellow with orange and red moments. Behind me, I drag my own shadow, who sometimes kicks and screams in protest and other times allows itself to be pulled forward, having relented in disbelief. My shadow is not shadow but common sense, pragmatism, pessimism, doubt and self-doubt, grey and black from misuse and abuse, wear and tear and truth. We move forward, my two selves, without path nor destination, only traveling and always bearing the tension between us, the Yes and the Absolutely Not, Think Again. Somehow, so far, the Yes has tended to have greater strength--but it is not overt muscle. The strength is a spectacle of determination, resilience, endurance and foolish immaturity. I wonder though whether my shadow is truly at odds or only playing its role convincingly.

No comments: